Saturday, December 26, 2009

My power was out for about 10hours.. is my ice cream safe to re freeze?

Ok so bad storm..power been out.. 10 hours basically i threw the milk out..


but what about





pot pies


cheese


yogurt


ice cream???My power was out for about 10hours.. is my ice cream safe to re freeze?
it depends on alot of things - what temperature were they in while the power was out - reasonably cool sould all be fine but if the were warm probably best not. The icecream will re freeze but it will be very hard not the same texture at all and not that pleasant.Look at each item individually, look at the colour and ask yourself if this is the normal colour ie if raw meat has gone brown throw it out. Also smell the food, off food will have an unpleasant odour. Really it is a judgement call that only you can make.My power was out for about 10hours.. is my ice cream safe to re freeze?
Refreezing Ice cream will create ice crystals. It's edible but the flavor is off.


I would highly recommend getting rid of everything. The cost of the food isn't as much as the cost of medical situations if you take the chance of eating or feeding your family with what was refrozen.


Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment